Thursday, November 12, 2009

Man of the House

I wanted to do an update on Blake, his surgery went well and he's now done with the 2nd week of 4 that he has to wear a sling (he does take it off to move his elbow and do small exercises). Poor guy I know he's in pain, but that is part of the healing process. He ices it a few times a day and the kids love to help their daddy with the ice and ice packs. If you notice on his neck there are 4 pokes kind of in a square, he decided on a nerve block in his arm for surgery and the anesthesiologist wasn't the most confident in giving that, it took 4 tries and Blake was awake the whole time-pretty painful to say the least. His incision is about 4 inches long and looks kinda crusty in the picture because it still had steri-strips on it with dried blood. (i should have taken a more recent photo) Anyway, we are looking forward to when he can use his shoulder more - his bike is pretty much fixed and he's eager to ride again. We still count our blessings

2 comments:

Carl and Amber said...

He's brave to attempt the nerve block! I have heard that those are extremely painful! I have learned a lot about having to be skeptical of who touches me in the hospital. They are not all good! As for me...knock me out...I don't want to feel anything--I'm a whimp!

Melanie said...

So Blake didn't have general anesthesia at all. He was awake for the whole thing???? Crazy! I don't think I could do that with them working so close to my head. Or did they just do the nerve block to help control pain afterwards? Glad he is healing well. See you guys in a couple of days - Yea!!!